Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple but tasty vegetarian yellow split pea curry dish. Serve with rice and roti bread.
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Soak dried chilis in a cup of water.
- Wash and pick through yellow split peas.
- Rinse and drain.
- Chop onion and garlic roughly.
- Melt butter with olive oil in large heavy base pan.
- When hot, add onion and garlic and tumeric and fry til transparent.
- Add yellow split peas and stir fry gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Chop up chilis.
- Chop up peeled ginger.
- Chop up tomato roughly, deseeding and discarding pulp and seeds.
- Add chilis, ginger and tomatos to pan.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add cumin, coriander and fenugreek.
- Put lid on pan.
- Simmer for 45 mins, adding water if mixture dries up too much.
- When lentils are soft, take off the heat and use a stick mixer to blend ingredients together.
- Return to heat if it has cooled down too much.
- Add chopped coriander and serve.