1 hr 15 mins
This is a simple but tasty vegetarian yellow split pea curry dish. Serve with rice and roti bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Soak dried chilis in a cup of water.
- 2Wash and pick through yellow split peas.
- 3Rinse and drain.
- 4Chop onion and garlic roughly.
- 5Melt butter with olive oil in large heavy base pan.
- 6When hot, add onion and garlic and tumeric and fry til transparent.
- 7Add yellow split peas and stir fry gently for about 10 minutes.
- 8Add vegetable stock and bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- 9Chop up chilis.
- 10Chop up peeled ginger.
- 11Chop up tomato roughly, deseeding and discarding pulp and seeds.
- 12Add chilis, ginger and tomatos to pan.
- 13Add salt and pepper.
- 14Add cumin, coriander and fenugreek.
- 15Put lid on pan.
- 16Simmer for 45 mins, adding water if mixture dries up too much.
- 17When lentils are soft, take off the heat and use a stick mixer to blend ingredients together.
- 18Return to heat if it has cooled down too much.
- 19Add chopped coriander and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Channa Dal
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 162.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.9 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: