Recipe by jennifer in new jersey
This is a breakfast that is nice for a change of pace from the regular. It is light yet filling, extremely healthy and pretty easy to make. It can also be served as a dessert served over vanilla yogurt. Recipe from World's Healthiest Foods. I have made it with fresh ingredients and with prepared (like oj in a carton) and it does taste better using fresh. Hope it works for you...
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 24 pitted prunes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine orange and lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon and honey in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer on high heat and then add the prunes.
- Turn the heat to as low as possible and cover, simmering gently for ten minutes; no more than that.
- Dont let prunes get soggy; reduce simmer time if they start to.
- Add chopped walnuts (if using) and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove prunes with a slotted spoon and then turn the heat to medium high reducing the sauce in the pan to about half.
- Pour the syrup over the prunes and serve chilled or warm.