Recipe by sharda
It is a sweet dish, very elegant and tasty. One of the favorite North Indian Sweets.It is a little work, but it is worth it. My husband can't stop eating it.
for the pastry dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 -6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
for prepared stuffing
- 2 cups khoya (reduced 1 litre whole milk)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 10 -15 raisins
for sugar syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 string, thick consistency (boil it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the pastry dough mixing the above ingredients and cover it with cloth.
- Divide it into small dime size balls and roll them like thin circles.
- Prepare the filling or the stuffing.
- First lay down one circle apply little water at the side of the circle.
- Put in the filling (about one spoon each).
- Cover it with the other rolled circle,and paste them both,making wedges all along the circle with your finger.
- 7) Keep them covered with a cloth, till all the chandra-kala is prepared.
- Prepare the sugar syrup as instructed. Once after obtaining the required thickness keep it on very very low heat(very important).
- Heat the oil in deep frying pan and fry on medium heat till light golden brown (3-4 at a time).
- Dip them in the sugar syrup; soak every piece for 1 minute on both sides and take it out with a fork.
- Lay it down on sliver paper to avoid sticking.
- Once cooled, keep it in a airtight container.