Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spinach garbanzo curry
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced in half and seeded
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup tomato with juice, diced small
- 1 cup water
- 2 (10 ounce) bags frozen spinach
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄4 fresh coriander leaves, minced
- Saute onion and jalapeno in olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander seed, turmeric, and curry powder. Saute 2-3 minutes more.
- Add tomato, spinach, beans, water and salt. Bring to a simmer and partially cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Combine milk and sour cream until sour cream is dissolved. Temper with some liquid from the pan and then stir into pan. Add garam masala. Simmer a few minutes more. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Loved this! I did have to make few substitutions based on what I had on hand but this turned out fantastic. I didn't have fresh tomato so I used a 10 oz. can of Fire Roasted Rotel tomatoes with green chilies. I didn't have frozen spinach so I used fresh instead. Other than that it was just tweaking the measure to of the spices to my liking i.e.: less cumin because I'm not overly fond of it but more curry powder and garlic. I will definitely make this again. I will try to upload a photo but I seem to be having difficulties with that at the moment.