Recipe by nikki oberroi
This recipe is a tried & tested one.My partner generally is not used to appreciating my culinary skills,but he said this one was nice.This one is my mother's recipe with a few changes here and there
Top Review by love4culinary
This is a FABULOUS dish. It not only looks excellent but the flavors are out of this world. The chickpeas had a wonderful color that Ive never seen before, and the coriander adds a great touch, just as it does with many dishes just like this. Thanks for a fablous recipe. I served this with roti, and will be making it again.
- 300 g chickpeas
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 tea bags
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ajwain
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 large chopped onions
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (1/4 of a teaspoon if you want it mild and 1/2 a spoon if you want it hot)
- 50 g chana masala
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chat masala
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 1⁄3 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak Chickpeas overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Boil them with enough water and teabags till they are soft.
- Throw away the teabags (the tea Bags are to give the chick peas a dark colour) Traditionally Chana pindi was cooked in an Iron Kadahi (skillet) That gave the chickpeas a dark colour.
- Heat oil in an Iron skillet.
- If you do not have one use a non stick pan.
- Add the cardomoms.
- After a minute add onions and saute.
- After about two minutes, add the roasted coriander seeds and the ajwain seeds,and continue to saute the onions.
- When the onions turn golden, add the gram flour (Besan).
- This is to give body to the curry.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and keep frying.
- take care that the ginger garlic paste does not stick to the base.
- Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes so that the raw smell of the ginger garlic is gone.
- Now add tomatoes and fry Add all the powders and salt and continue to fry till the tomatoes soften and mix properly.
- add the boiled chickpeas and fry.
- Mash 3-4 tablespoons of chickpeas and mix it in.
- simmerfor 15- 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chapati, naan, Kulcha etc.