Lucy Street's Note:
this is a slightly modified version that I found on the web. the original version can be found here:http://orangette.blogspot.com/2006/02/public-display-of-chickpeas.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch cayenne (or more, to taste)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 6 -8 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1Film the olive oil in the bottom of a large saucepan (preferably non-stick, original recipe called for a dutch oven), and place pan over medium-low heat.
- 2Add the garlic, while stirring, and the cumin seeds. Add more oil if necessary. Stir until fragrant and brown (the cumin seeds may pop).
- 3Add the ground coriander, ginger, garam masala, and cardamom pods, stirring constantly until fragrant and toasty (probably about 30 seconds).
- 4Add 1/4 cup water, and stir/scrape the bottom of the pan to keep the browned bits from burning to the bottom. Cook until the water has evaporated away completely.
- 5Add the canned tomatoes/juice from canned tomatoes, and salt (if desired). Stir well to mix.
- 6Raise the heat to medium/medium-high to bring to a boil.
- 7Once boiling, reduce heat to low, add cilantro and cayenne, and simmer the sauce gently, stirring occasionally, until it reduces and begins to thicken a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- 8Add chickpeas, stirring well, and cook over low heat for about five minutes.
- 9Add 2 tablespoons water, and cook for another five minutes.
- 10Add another 2 tablespoons water, and cook until entirely absorbed (a few more minutes). This helps concentrate the flavors in the sauce and makes the chickpeas more tender. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- 11Stir in yogurt and serve over brown rice (can omit the rice if desired).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chana Masala
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Sodium 660.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: