Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
tasty and serve hot.
- 300 g basmati rice (washed well & drained)
- 100 g chana lentils (Chana Dal)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn (Saabut Kaali Mirch)
- 5 pieces cloves (Loung)
- 1 cinnamon stick (Dal Cheeni, 2 inches)
- 2 bay leaves (Tezz Pattay)
- 2 black cardamom pods (Bari Kaali Ilaichi)
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (Kaala Zeera)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (Pisi Lal Mirch, or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cups water
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of water for atleast 15 minutes. Then wash the lentils with a few changes of water and drain. Boil them in fresh salted water until the lentils are tender and cooked well. Put in a strainer to drain any excess water. Set aside.
- In a pot add the oil, when the oil is heated, add in the sliced onions, bay leaves, cloves, and cinnamon sticks. Saute until the onions are golden brown. Then add in the 6 cups water, rice, salt, peppercorns, red chilli powder, and cumin seeds and cook on medium heat - covered until rice are cooked and tender and the water has absorbed.
- Fry the boiled dal in 1 ounce of clarified butter or oil for a few minutes. Then add it lightly into the cooked rice and mix.