Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Can be used as a soup or a curry to be eaten with rice. My kids LOVE this! Hing is asafoetida powder (the ingredient in Bean-o). It can be found in asian and indian groceries
- 1 cup channa dal (washed & soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 large roma tomato, cut into large cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida powder)
- Cook dal in 4 c of water until soft, adding more water as needed. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in another pan.
- Saute cabbage and bell pepper over high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, jalapeno, hing, dry spices and tomato.
- Saute until the oil separates from the ingredients in the pan.
- Add 1 c of water and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked dal and cook 10 minutes until gravy is thick.
- Add the coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve with flat bread or rice.
This is really yummy! I only added half a can of coconut milk and skipped the hing. It's really spicy, so I might do half the pepper next time. Thanks Jacqueline!