Recipe by AlainaF
This recipe for Champurrado uses canela (cinnamon), Mexican chocolate, masa dough, milk and honey.
- 1 cinnamon stick (canela)
- 1 cup mexican chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup fresh ground masa harina flour (or substitute 1/2 cup powdered masa harina mixed with 1/2 cup warm water)
- 10 cups milk
- 2 cups pure honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Add cinnamon, Mexican chocolate and two cups of water to a stock pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until chocolate melts.
- In a separate bowl mix the corn dough with a cup of water until smooth. Pour corn mixture into the hot chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and honey to the pot, let it simmer over low heat, stirring frequently until the milk thickens, being careful not to let milk burn. Champurrado should be the consistency of heavy cream, if yours it too thick, just add more milk.
- For authenticity; froth the mixture with a Mexican Molinillo prior to serving.