1/10 Photos of Champurrado (Chocolate Atole)
This Mexican masa harina/chocolate drink is primarily served with celebratory meals and tamales, though it is also a comfort food in the morning, served with spicy things or given to kids to drink.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the milk and chocolate in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the chocolate.
- 2When chocolate is completely dissolved, remove from the heat and set aside to keep warm.
- 3Mix the masa harina with the water in another saucepan; place over low heat, add the cinnamon stick, and cook until the mixture has thickened and the masa becomes translucent.
- 4Add the chocolate milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar and simmer for a few minutes.
- 5Remove the cinnamon stick and serve the champurrado hot in cups or mugs.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Champurrado (Chocolate Atole)
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 91.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 8.4 g