Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
posted by request, sounds wonderfull!! from Georgian Bay Gourmet
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 lbs stewing beef, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons fat
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups carrots, cut in 1 inch diagonal pieces
- Mix flour, celery salt, ginger, garlic salt and pepper in a plastic bag.
- Place beef in bag, approximately 1 lb at a time and shake until meat is coated with flour mixture.
- In a heavy skillet, melt fat and brown meat in hot fat.
- Transfer to cooking kettle.
- Add tomatoes, onions, vinegar, maple syrup and water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Add carrots in the last hour of cooking.
- (for a tasty touch, add a half cup of raisins in the last half hour of cooking.) Could be served over squeezed open baked potatoes or mashed potatoes or over brown rice, or even over noodles.