Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is the recipe of the 1989 Bloomington Illinois Elk's Chili Cookoff Winner
- 6 lbs ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cansbrooks chili beans (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large white onions
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow sweet bell peppers
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 2 red banana peppers
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 yellow banana peppers
- 2 canned banana peppers
- 1 cup juice, from canned bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- Brown ground beef; drain grease.
- Chop garlic, onions and peppers.
- Sauté in pepper juice until onions are transparent.
- Combine with ground beef.
- Add tomatoes, dried red pepper flakes and chili powder.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hours.