Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my first prize winning chili !!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice, from jar of jalapenos
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- -Heat olive olive oil in sauce pan.
- -Add the onion , garlic, green pepper and beef going over medium heat .
- -Gradually add spices, sugar and Worcestershire.
- -Once the meat is browned and onions are clear add everthing else.
- -Simmer for ONE HOUR.
- -You may need to add more beer to maintain
- the proper consistency.
This chili wins a prize with me. I originally chose the recipe as it includes no beans but did include some different ingredients than the usual. I like thicker chili so used a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and some tomato sauce. I'm also a wimp when it comes to the heat of jalapenos so added 1/2 of a jalapeno. As I don't have a sweet tooth, I would reduce the amount of brown sugar next time (but had I added the full amount of tomatoes, the indicated amount would probably have been just right). Served over pasta with lots of cheese, it was the perfect meal for a blustery night.