Recipe by Mama Sweet Rolls
This is a cake my mom makes every fall. It is a nice change from pumpkin pie, and the light frosting makes it melt in your mouth. Try it with some hot cider and you will be in heaven.
Top Review by Nikki Kate
I wish I could give this more stars!! But for all the spices that went into this cake, I really couldn't taste them all. It was also very heavy. I must say you do need the frosting with this cake. It is very bland without the frosting. It was very easy to mix together.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1stick)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin and buttermilk; beat well.
- Sift together remaining dry ingredients; add to shortening mixture. Beat well. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges and remove to racks to cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare frosting.
- Beat together shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well.
- Gently brush loose crumbs off tops and sides of cake layers. Fill and frost with Snow frosting.