Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a cake my mom makes every fall. It is a nice change from pumpkin pie, and the light frosting makes it melt in your mouth. Try it with some hot cider and you will be in heaven.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1stick)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350, Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin and buttermilk; beat well.
- Sift together remaining dry ingredients; add to shortening mixture. Beat well. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges and remove to racks to cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare frosting.
- Beat together shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well.
- Gently brush loose crumbs off tops and sides of cake layers. Fill and frost with Snow frosting.
I wish I could give this more stars!! But for all the spices that went into this cake, I really couldn't taste them all. It was also very heavy. I must say you do need the frosting with this cake. It is very bland without the frosting. It was very easy to mix together.