Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The recipe is based on a recipe from the Williams-Sonoma Savoring Spain & Portugal cookbook. It is from the Basque region where mushrooms grow wild in the forest. This recipe is best with porcini, chanterelles and/or morels, but you may use any mushroom you like.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, cleaned and halved (or sliced 1/4-inch thick, if large)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (preferably the flat leaf Italian style)
- salt and pepper
- Warm the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute about 2 minutes. Do not let it burn.
- Increase the heat to high, and add the mushrooms. Saute until tender for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The time may need to be adjusted according to the type of mushroom used.
- Add the wine (or sherry) and continue to cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the parsley, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Serve while hot.
Not thinking, I made these as a side dish for a main dish of chicken when they really should have been served with a good steak. But even so, I was thrilled with the outcome and even ate the extras for lunch the next day! I did add a couple splashes of soy sauce and some minced onion, and I substituted green onion for the parsley. Excellent!
This was quite good and I'll definitely be making it again. I used a dry sherry (never use cooking sherry -always the real thing. I was also surprised at how mild the flavour is in this considering the amount of garlic in it. I think next time I might add a splash of soy sauce? Maybe some fine chopped onion? This is definitely a wonderful base recipe that you can have fun playing around with. ***Edit June 26, 2007 - I took another visit to this recipe and changing my rating from a 4 to a 5. Added a splash or two of soy sauce (2 Tbsp)and some finely chopped onion - (1/4 cup) which didn't really change the flavour but did enhance it. Used Dry white wine this time too.
Delicious, and so easy to prepare! The mushrooms had a great flavor. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8