Recipe by HeatherFeather
(Translation: Mushroom Salad with Egg.) This is an authentic modern German recipe I acquired while living in Germany. It is very pretty for a dinner party and is light and refreshing tasting. I translated this from a German version I found in "Kochen und Geneissen" magazine. I made my salad with the rocket leaves, which have a nutty, peppery taste.
Top Review by Sackville
This was great Heather! The perfect start to our Sunday lunch. It was easy to put together and the dressing was tasty, with a hint of mustard and the onions standing out. I didn't use nearly as many mushrooms as your version calls for though -- I found half that amount was just right.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh chives, snipped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon German mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared brown mustard
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g fresh rocket (arugula) or 50 g watercress
- cooked bacon, crumbled, as a garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set out four serving plates.
- Divide the rocket leaves into four bundles and place them on each plate.
- Divide the sliced mushrooms into four portions and place each atop the rocket leaves, making a cross shape on each plate.
- Sprinkle chopped egg over the mushrooms.
- Whisk together (or use a blender) the dressing ingredients (vinegar, mustard, sugar, and oil) adding salt& pepper to taste.
- Whisk in some of the snipped chives and the onions.
- Drizzle over each salad right before serving.
- Garnish with crumbled cooked bacon and remaining chives, if desired. Serve immediately.