Recipe by Tish
I hate to admit that I'm not crazy about Champagne...at least not to sit around drinking when it's not an occasion. We ended up with a couple of extra bottles after New Years and six months later I decided to do something with them. Here's what we came up with
- 4 thick pork chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mango jam
- 750 ml champagne
- 2 apples, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 6 walnuts, shelled and roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Put olive oil in a deep skilled and heat.
- Brown both sides of the pork chops 4-5 minutes each side.
- When browned pour out any juices and put pork chops back in the skillet.
- This next step might kill you but take a chug of your champagne and then pour it into the skillet until it's just about 3/4 of the way up the chops. Mix in mango jam.
- Reduce heat and cover (vent the top a bit) and cook for 35-45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chops and set aside (keep warmed).
- Mix into the liquid, honey, nutmeg, butter and apples and boil until reduced and thickened (it's going to looked more like glazed apples than a sauce)
- Add chopped walnuts, stir around to glaze them, and pull off the stove before it over cooks.
- We served with saffron rice - apples are good on top of the pork!