Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Shrimp and grapes may sound odd, but this shrimp salad sandwich is a winner. Champagne grapes are a must, there is no substitution for their burst in your mouth sweetness. This recipe came from an elderly gentleman I stood next to at the seafood counter in the grocery store. He insisted that since I was buying shrimp I had to get some champagne grapes and make this! It started out as just a simple trio of shrimp, mayo, and champagne grapes, but over the years I've added the rolls, lemon juice and chives. This works great as an appetizer if you just make the salad, then offer some toasted bruschetta (drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice) along with it! You don't have to measure the amounts, really. I always just grab a bunch of champagne grapes, a pound or two of shrimp, and add everything else to taste. You can make this a little ahead, but I don't recommend keeping it in the fridge for more than a day. And certainly toast the rolls or bruschetta at the last minute, since it's best when the bread is warm.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp and grapes.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and juice of 2 lemons.
- Add shrimp, grapes, chives.
- Combine and let flavors combine while you prepare the rolls.
- Open all the rolls and drizzle inside olive oil and remaining lemon.
- Put rolls in oven to toast (inside surface facing down).
- When rolls are golden, remove from oven.
- Place bottom of rolls on plates, top generously with shrimp mixture.
- Place top of rolls off center so shrimp salad is visible.
- Garnish with some chives and a lemon slice if desired.
nummy! I didn't have champagne grapes, so I chopped up some red table grapes instead. I added a little salt and pepper, and though it was delicious I might add something for a little crunch next time, like a bit of celery. thanks!
This is such a simple recipe with great flavor. I didn't have access to Dutch Crunch Rolls and instead used crescent rolls which I split to stuff for the sandwiches. The buttery flavor of the rolls balanced well with the flavors of the shrimp salad.