Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sweet and tart
- 2 cups champagne or 2 cups prosecco or 2 cups sparkling wine
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1 cup white grape juice
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until sugar dissolves and the foaming just starts to subside (some foaming will help the granita stay light and airy as it freezes).
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Freeze on the floor of the freezer for about 2 hours, stirring with a fork every 20 minutes.
- When the granita is frozen but soft, smooth out the crystals and cover the pan with plastic wrap.
- Tightly sealed, the granita can stay in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve by scraping up the ice crystals with a fork and mounding them in cups, bowls, or glasses.