Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons egg whites, at room temperature (from 1 large egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- Adjust rack to lower third of oven; preheat oven to 375°.
- Unwrap one end of a chilled stick of unsalted butter and rub it over 2 large cool teflon-coated baking sheets to apply a very thin film of fat.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 45 seconds.
- Beat in the sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the whole egg, blending thoroughly, then add the egg white.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce speed and add the flavorings, then the flour, combining thoroughly.
- Using a 16-inch pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain decorating tip (such as Ateco 2), pipe strings about 1/4-inch wide, 3-inches long, and at least 1 1/2-inches apart over the baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for about 5-6 minutes, or just until edges and bottoms are light golden brown.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and lift the cookies with a metal spatula to another wire rack to cool.
- If the cookies become difficult to remove, return the baking sheet to the oven a few seconds until they soften.
- Stack the cookies in an airtight metal container and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
WOW so lo in carbs!