Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This is a wonderful dinner-party dish...In the spirit of lightening up my recipes, this one still tastes great using less butter and either half-and-half or fat-free half-and-half in place of the heavy cream.
Top Review by Chef PotPie
Very tasty recipe, one which I will make again! I've had this recipe saved for a long time since I looked it up on Zaar after having it at a restaurant when Bill and I were on a company trip. Then I found that it was on ZWT5 cookbook! Winner for me both ways! Tonight I made it with less butter and olive oil, only a couple tablespoons. The chicken cooked up wonderfully and I only added, at the end, about 1 tablespoon cornstarch in about 1/4 cup water to thicken. This made enough sauce to toss with 16 ounces of angelhair pasta. I also used the fat-free half-and-half to cut the fat even more. Added a bunch of minced garlic when I pulled off the chickem (that's just the way my family loves garlic!) And about 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes. Please do not take these changes to heart, this is a great recipe on it's own, I just made a few adjustments for my family's tastes. And I got to drink the rest of the champagne! YAY! It's a keeper, and when I do make it for company I WILL use the heavy cream. Only a few times year! Otherwise we stay healthier! Thanks for posting this wonderfully decadent (or even lower fat) recipe!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups champagne
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sauteed
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten the chicken breasts. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper and dust breasts on both sides.
- Saute, in butter and oil for 5 minutes, shaking the pan to prevent sticking. Turn the chicken and add champagne. Cook for another 15 minutes until the chicken is done and champagne is reduced by half.
- Remove the chicken to heated platter and keep warm. Add the cream to the pan juices and cook until thickened. Add sauteed mushrooms desired.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.