Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
Add bubbly to this delicious and unusual carrot soup for a fabulous fizzy flavour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 10 ounces carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 celery, finely sliced
- 6 ounces potatoes, finely diced
- 1 1⁄4 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups champagne (or substitute sparkling wine)
- sea salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- French bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and coriander seeds and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Tip in the carrots, bay leaves, celery and potato and soften for a further 1 minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and half the wine, and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or liquidiser until smooth, and pass through a fine sieve. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- When ready to serve, reheat gently. Pour a couple of tablespoons of Champagne into each bowl when serving. The soup will fizz gently. Serve at once, accompanied with bruschetta.