Recipe by GingerlyJ
This is one of Ireland's most popular side dishes. This is how my grandmother made it
- 8 potatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 20 green onions, with tops, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot,, bring stock and water to a boil.
- add potatoes and bring back to a boil.
- simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- drain and put back in pan.
- cover with a clean dish towel for a few minutes to get rid of excess moisture.
- Put green onions in a saucepan with pepper and milk.
- simmer for five minutes and then drain, reserving milk
- mash potatoes until smooth, stirring in enough milk to create creamy consistency.
- stir in scallions and chives.
- season with salt.
- put potatoes in a serving dish.
- make a well in the center and pour in hot melted butter.