Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple and inexpensive, yet warm and filling, Champ is unquestionably one of the most delicious side dishes ever created in Ireland...posted from an Irish recipe site for the Zaar World Tour!
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb green onion, chopped (scallions)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces butter
- Boil the potatoes until cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Simmer the green onions in milk for about 5 minutes
- Drain potatoes and mash.
- Add the hot milk and scallions, salt, pepper and half the butter and mix.
- Dot with the rest of the butter and serve immediately.
- HINT: The secret of success to this Irish potato recipe is making sure all the ingredients are kept very hot while you're preparing it.
Delicious! Used one bunch of onions - 1/2 pound seems like a lot. Taste was wonderful - served with Steak and Guinness pie, also from this website.
Genius! It's amazing how something so simple can be so amazing. I made this exactly as written and it was perfect. But since I can't leave well enough alone I also tried this with buttermilk. If you try it with buttermilk it's also great but heat the buttermilk and onions very slowly and only until warm. Thanks for sharing!