Recipe by ChamoritaMomma
This is a dessert that is served often during island gatherings or fiestas. It's a traditional dessert and no chamorro table is complete without it. There are different variations, but any way it's made, it is DELICIOUS!!
Top Review by sonya/art
This is an amazing desert!! I have made this many times since I found this recipe, with different types of yellow cake such as madeira cake, vanilla sponge etc. I love the addition of cinnamon on top as well :) I do however cook it for a few more minutes once I add the eggs on very low heat. Thank you so much for the recipe! :)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ground cinnamon
- yellow cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cake portion by slicing the cake into 1/4-inch thick by about 3-inch long slices. This is just approximate -- Layer the slices onto a platter, overlapping each piece just a bit. Make sure that the platter has a little lip to contain the custard and keeping it from spilling over. Completely cover the platter with the sliced cake. Cover and set aside.
- Make the custard by combining in a sauce pan, 1 1/3 cups water, bring this almost to a boil. Add the evaporated milk and the sugar. Mix the remaining water with the cornstarch and vanilla. Gradually add this to the milk mixture, making sure to stir constantly so not to scorch the custard.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and add the butter; whisk in the beaten eggs a little bit at a time, making sure to stir constantly and combine well. Pour the hot custard over the prepared cake and spread over to completely cover the cake slices.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the entire custard and let set. The amount depends on how much you like cinnamon. You could place this in the refrigerator or keep at room temperature, and once cooled completely, it's ready to serve.
- I hope you enjoy this dessert as much as the islanders do -- .
- Variation: This dessert can also be prepared using pound cake or the recipe for Brojas cake, that I also have posted.