Recipe by LMillerRN
From Southern Living.
Top Review by KeyWee
I saw this recipe in an old Southern Living, too (October 2005) and I knew from just reading the recipe that it was going to be good ~ and it was!! Made the recipe exactly as posted and the meat was fall apart tender - you hardly need to shred it with two forks. I used about 3# of pork butt steaks that I had on hand and they worked great. I was going to post this recipe on Zaar, but you saved me the time and trouble - thanks for posting!!
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) bone-in pork loin roast
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with lime juice and cilantro
- 8 taco salad shells
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- jalapeno pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort beans according to package directions.
- Place pinto beans in a 6-quart slow cooker; add roast and next 6 ingredients. Pour chicken broth evenly over top of roast.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour; reduce to LOW, and cook 9 hours. Or, cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours. Remove bones and fat from roast; pull roast into large pieces with two forks. Stir in diced tomatoes and green chiles. Cook, uncovered, on HIGH 1 more hour or until liquid is slightly thickened.
- Heat taco salad shells according to package directions; place shredded lettuce evenly into shells. Spoon about 1 cup pork-and-bean mixture into each shell using a slotted spoon. Serve with desired toppings.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used RO*TEL Mexican Festival tomatoes and a Rival Recipe Smart-Pot slow cooker. Times may vary depending on the slow cooker used.