Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, or crockpot and cover with water.
- Simmer over low heat, adding water if needed.
- After 6 hours, remove bones and break up roast.
- Continue cooking with lid off till thick.
- Serve on tostada shells or tortillas (burro style) with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and onions.
- Chalupa freezes perfectly!
mmmm... just like the Chalupa grandma makes. I threw this in the crockpot at 9pm for dinner the next day... and darn it... I woke up to the smell of Chalupa and had some for breakfast. This is best served over chips with cheese, lettuce, avocado, onion... whatever you would normally put on nachos. Remember if you are using a crock pot you will probably have to cook it double the time.
Made this for dinner tonight, was wonderful! We added a few more spices as we are a spicey family :)! I think it made way more tha 12 servings I fed eight people and one had seconds. there are left overs in the fridge and that was only 1/2 of the recipe! VERY GOOD!
We did not care for this recipe because I cooked it for 8 hours and the beans never completely cooked and the sauce never thickened. I ended up only using the meat and shredding it up and cooking it again in mexican spices.