Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This tasty combination is great for tostadas and burritos. I got this little ditty from my favorite resource "Low Fat Mexican Recipes"
- 3 lbs pork roast, trimmed of all fat
- 1 lb pinto beans, washed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano, preferable mexican
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, kettle or crock pot and cover with water.
- Simmer over low heat, adding water if needed.
- After 6 hours, remove bones and break up roast.
- Continue cooking with lid off until thick.
- Serve on tostada shells or tortillas burrito style with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and onions.
- Chalupa freezes perfectly!
I had a tough time with this recipe. I soaked my beans overnight but it took 3 days of cooking in the crock pot to be done. Must be the high altitude or old beans. Flavor was good.
I've made this recipe twice now, and both times it turned out better than Fabulous, better than Delicious -FABULICIOUS! I made such a mess of the first printed out copy of the recipe, I needed to print another copy. When I went to locate it in my ZAAR saved recipes, I couldn't find where I had saved it! I went bonkers and surely thought I had lost it forever and had to do some real searching. I couldn't even think of the name of the dish! This last time I used a boneless Pork Loin. OMG! I can't describe how good it is! I break it down into several servings and freeze them for later. We use Burrito size flour tortillas, along with some Mexican Queso Fresco, wrap it up, and warm in the oven for a few moments. Top with lettuce, home-made salsa, Mexican Crema, and finish with extra Queso Fresco. YUMMY!
I think I'll go home and eat some tonight!
My DH literally gave me a "high Five" on your recipe and, if possible, when I heated left-overs today, it was even better. For the two of us I cut the recipe in half and still had plenty to have left-overs and to freeze for another day. I used in flour tortillas, added shredded cheese, chopped onion and baked till golden. Served with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. Absolutely fabulous! Thanks, Happy Hippie!