Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I bake challah every week for our Sabbath meal. It's so easy to make in a KitchenAid mixer. Challah tastes great in French Toast or Cinnamon Toast recipes. This challah recipe is my kid's favorite.
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 14.78 ml yeast
- 946.36 ml flour
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 78.07 ml oil
- 2 eggs
- 59.14 ml warm water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 4.92 ml water
- sesame seeds or poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 400°F Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup water in bowl of mixer. Sprinkle yeast over water and mix,let stand 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add the next 6 ingredients to mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook for 6 minutes. Dough should be a little sticky.
- Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Let rise again until double in bulk.
- Punch down again. Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll dough into three long strands. Braid the strands, tucking ends under. Cover with towel and let double in bulk.
- Brush with beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake at 400 F for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown. The challah is done when it sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.
A family favourite now and I have given it as gifts a couple times already. So easy and yummy. I only used 3.5 cups of flour though and 4 was too much. Thanks for sharing!
Well, I thought this dough was just to easy to work with to be true. I forgot to add in the 1/4 cup water! Still came out very well, tad bit dry, but that's my oops certainly. :) The taste is lovely, only slightly sweet. Browned beautifully, with a nice crunch to the outside. I used this for my Ostara bread this year, braided into a circle and added whole eggs within the braid to bake with the bread. It's probably the best recipe I've found yet for this! And very pretty. Took a long time to double though! Thanks CardaMom!!
Thank you, Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made it on Friday just to see how it would turn out and it was amazing! So on Saturday I made 8 loaves. I made the dough and then I cut it in half then, from the half I cut it into thirds so I could braid, then I made 2 mini-challahs. I did add golden raisins.