1/14 Photos of Challah I (Braided Egg Bread)
I bake challah every week for our Sabbath meal. It's so easy to make in a KitchenAid mixer. Challah tastes great in French Toast or Cinnamon Toast recipes. This challah recipe is my kid's favorite.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup water in bowl of mixer. Sprinkle yeast over water and mix,let stand 10 minutes until foamy.
- 2Add the next 6 ingredients to mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook for 6 minutes. Dough should be a little sticky.
- 3Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- 4Punch down dough. Let rise again until double in bulk.
- 5Punch down again. Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- 6Roll dough into three long strands. Braid the strands, tucking ends under. Cover with towel and let double in bulk.
- 7Brush with beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake at 400 F for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown. The challah is done when it sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah I (Braided Egg Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (951 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2904.3
- Calories from Fat 827
- Total Fat 91.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 538.0 mg
- Sodium 2496.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 442.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 56.3 g
- Protein 71.4 g