I bake challah every week for our Sabbath meal. It's so easy to make in a KitchenAid mixer. Challah tastes great in French Toast or Cinnamon Toast recipes. This challah recipe is my kid's favorite.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup water in bowl of mixer. Sprinkle yeast over water and mix,let stand 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add the next 6 ingredients to mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook for 6 minutes. Dough should be a little sticky.
- Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Let rise again until double in bulk.
- Punch down again. Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll dough into three long strands. Braid the strands, tucking ends under. Cover with towel and let double in bulk.
- Brush with beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake at 400 F for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown. The challah is done when it sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.