Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is like bananas foster, but I used sweet challah bread instead. For the bread I used Famous Challah Serve this with natural vanilla ice cream or just eat plain. Either way, you may go into hypoglycemic shock, but it's worth the risk.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 12 slices challah
- Slice the challah about 1/2 inch thick.
- Melt butter in a non stick pan until it starts to bubble.
- Add 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar, spices and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Let it cook down until the sugar and butter turn into a bubbling thick syrup.
- Add as many slices of bread into the pan that will fit.
- Cook for 30 Second and flip. Cook for 30 seconds again and remove from pan with tongs.
- Repeat until all the bread slices are cooked.
- NOTE: you may have to add the remaining brown sugar half way through the cooking process because the bread will take more sugar out of the syrup than it will suck up butter. Keep that 1/4 cup of brown sugar handy to add.