Challah for the Bread Machine
- Add water, oil, 1 egg, vanilla, salt, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and yeast to bread machine. Select DOUGH/MANUAL cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Divide dough into three equal portions, and roll each piece to a 24" rope. Braid ropes together, tucking ends underneath, on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise one hour (or until doubled in size), in a warm, draft free area. (I put a baking dish of hot water in the very bottom of my oven and then lay the baking sheet with the dough on the middle rack and close the door.).
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven (375 degrees) for 30-35 minutes. (Check at 30!) Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack.