Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A beautiful braided challah for a Sabbath meal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 ounce dry yeast
- 7 -8 cups hi-gluten flour
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and use a dough hook. When all incorporated, ix for an additonal five minutes. Remove from the mixer. Cover dough with a towel or piece of plastic and let rest for about 40 minutes.
- Fold dough iover and punch down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Make up loaves of challah or roll.
- For challah: Take approx one lb of the dough. Divide into six equal pieces. Mold into strips six to eight inches long. Take all six pieces and braid. After completion, brush with egg wash and if desired, sprinkle with popp or sesame seeds.
- For rolls: Cut dough into about 1 to 2 oz pieces. Roll into straight strips about inches long and tie into knot or double knot. Brush with egg wash.
- Bread should rise for another 30 to 40 minutes. Place on a baking sheet covered with corn meal and bake. For 1 lb challah, bake at about 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.