From 100 Bread Machine Recipes by Vicki Smallwood. The saffron is what gives this its unique golden yellow color. This doesn't last long whenever I make this. Cooking time does NOT include dough cycle time.
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in the 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the beaten eggs, honey, hot water and melted butter in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the saffron threads with the soaking water, stir and pour the mixture into the baking pan of your bread machine.
- Mix the salt into the flour and add to the baking pan and spoon the yeast on top.
- Set the program to 'DOUGH.'.
- When the dough is ready (mine takes 90 minutes), transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes. (The dough will feel quite soft and silky.).
- Shape the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces, then roll each piece into a sausage shape measuring approximately 12 inches in length.
- Pinch the top end of each length of dough together, then weave the pieces into a braid/plait.
- Pinch the bottom ends together, then tuck both ends under the dough to form a neatly braided loaf.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, brush with oil, cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave it to rise/prove in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven 220C/425°F.
- When the dough has nearly doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and lightly brush the top of the loaf with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave it to cool before serving.