1/5 Photos of Challah Bread (Bread Machine)
From 100 Bread Machine Recipes by Vicki Smallwood. The saffron is what gives this its unique golden yellow color. This doesn't last long whenever I make this. Cooking time does NOT include dough cycle time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon water, boiling
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cup hot water (100F-105F)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups white bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing over
- 1In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in the 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- 2In the meantime, place the beaten eggs, honey, hot water and melted butter in a bowl. Mix well.
- 3Add the saffron threads with the soaking water, stir and pour the mixture into the baking pan of your bread machine.
- 4Mix the salt into the flour and add to the baking pan and spoon the yeast on top.
- 5Set the program to 'DOUGH.'.
- 6When the dough is ready (mine takes 90 minutes), transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes. (The dough will feel quite soft and silky.).
- 7Shape the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces, then roll each piece into a sausage shape measuring approximately 12 inches in length.
- 8Pinch the top end of each length of dough together, then weave the pieces into a braid/plait.
- 9Pinch the bottom ends together, then tuck both ends under the dough to form a neatly braided loaf.
- 10Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, brush with oil, cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave it to rise/prove in a warm place.
- 11Preheat the oven 220C/425°F.
- 12When the dough has nearly doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and lightly brush the top of the loaf with the beaten egg.
- 13Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 14Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave it to cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah Bread (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (907 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2531.4
- Calories from Fat 693
- Total Fat 77.0 g
- Saturated Fat 41.8 g
- Cholesterol 787.1 mg
- Sodium 2962.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 389.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 54.1 g
- Protein 67.1 g