Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite bread from childhood...different recipe but same kind of bread. Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker's New Cookbook.
- 591.47-650.62 ml all-purpose flour or 591.47-650.62 ml bread flour
- 12.32 ml dry yeast or 12.32 ml quick active dry yeast
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 177.44 ml water
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 29.58 ml cold water
- poppy seed
- Mix 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
- Heat water and 1 tablespoon oil until very warm (120 to 130).
- Add water mixture to flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- Beat in 1 egg until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until double.
- Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet with shortening.
- Punch down dough and divide into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a rope, 14 inches long.
- Place ropes close together on cookie sheet.
- Braid ropes gently and loosely--do not stretch.
- Fasten ends and tuck ends under braid securely.
- Brush with oil.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 40 to 50 minutes or until double.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water and brush over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Check bread at 15 minutes and tent with aluminum foil if it seems to be browning too quickly.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool.
I decided to do this recipe in my bread machine. I added all of the ingredients for the bread in the order recommended by the manufacturer. I used 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour. I used the dough setting. I needed to add just a little bit water because it seemed dry in the machine. The dough turned out perfect. I got a nice bread. I chose not to use poppy seeds. It was great fresh with butter, but it's also great toasted with butter. Thanks AmyZoe :) Made for New Kids on the block tag game