1/1 Photo of Challah Bread
This is my favorite bread from childhood...different recipe but same kind of bread. Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker's New Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
- 2Heat water and 1 tablespoon oil until very warm (120 to 130).
- 3Add water mixture to flour mixture.
- 4Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- 5Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- 6Beat in 1 egg until smooth.
- 7Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 8Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- 9Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- 10Place in greased bowl and turn greased side up.
- 11Cover and let rise in warm place 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until double.
- 12Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 13Lightly grease cookie sheet with shortening.
- 14Punch down dough and divide into 3 equal parts.
- 15Roll each part into a rope, 14 inches long.
- 16Place ropes close together on cookie sheet.
- 17Braid ropes gently and loosely--do not stretch.
- 18Fasten ends and tuck ends under braid securely.
- 19Brush with oil.
- 20Cover and let rise in warm place 40 to 50 minutes or until double.
- 21Heat oven to 375.
- 22Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water and brush over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seed.
- 23Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 24Check bread at 15 minutes and tent with aluminum foil if it seems to be browning too quickly.
- 25Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah Bread
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 151.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g