Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
This is posted in response to another member's request for a challah recipe that could be made in an ABM. The actual recipe asks for one egg mixed with enough water to make one cup plus one tablespoon of liquid. Since eggs vary in volume, the amount of water listed in the ingredients is approximate. Since the bread is made with an ABM, processing and rising time are included in the cooking time.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Add the ingredients according to the instructions for your bread machine and set for the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, place it on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into thirds, making three 13-inch long ropes with tapered ends.
- Pinch the ropes together at one end; braid together.
- Pinch together at the other end and secure the braid.
- Transfer the braided dough to a greased baking sheet; cover and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Combine the glaze ingredients and brush onto the braid.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until done.