Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy to prepare, no machines required!
Make and share this Challah recipe from Food.com.
- Use a large metal/glass bowl (not plastic) and put in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water then add 1 tbsp sugar.
- The yeast should start foaming.
- Warm up another half cup water and add, followed by the oil, salt, eggs and sugar.
- Mix thoroughly wooden spoon.
- Add flour and mix.
- Knead the dough thoroughly for a couple of minutes then remove from bowl.
- Wipe bowl clean and oil it.
- Return dough to bowl and flip over so is lightly coated.
- Cover bowl with a towel and leave a couple of hours until dough has at least doubled in volume and then punch it down.
- Braid the dough and put on baking paper, covered.
- Leave to rise again.
- Brush egg and sprinkle popppy seeds or sesame seeds over the top if desired.
- Bake at 325F for 25 minutes.
Wonderful challah. People want to come for Shabbat lunch just for this. And I am NOT a good baker. Thanks, thanks, thanks.
I've never made any sort of bread before this, and it came out great! Super easy, and it looks great!
This challah turned out wonderful! I used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour, which gave it a different flavor than traditional challah. I also added raisins and chocolate chips and sprinkled cinnamon on top instead of the sesame seeds. My family loved it, and we finished it soon after it came out of the oven.