1/7 Photos of Challah
Barb Gertz's Note:
This egg rich bread is traditionally served in Jewish households to begin the Sabbath, Try serving for breakfast with fruit preserves or slice thick and use to make superb French toast. The recipe comes from Red Star Yeast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1Bread Machine method: Have liquids ingredients at 80 degrees and all others at room temperature.
- 2Place in pan basket in order listed.
- 3select dough/manual cycle.
- 4Do not use delay timer.
- 5Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading, making adjustments if necessary.
- 6At the end of cycle, remove dough and follow shaping and baking insructions.
- 7Raising, Shaping and Baking: Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease.
- 8Cover, let rise until dough until almost double.
- 9Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove bubbles.
- 10roll or pat into a 14-x7-inch rectangle, Starting with the shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into a roll.
- 11Pinch edges and ends to seal.
- 12Place in greased 9-x-5-inch loaf pan.
- 13cover, let rise until indentation remains after touching, Brush loaf with slightly beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water.
- 14sprinkle with sesame or Poppy seeds, bake in preheated 375 degree oven 30 to 40 minutes.
- 15Remove from pan; cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah
Serving Size: 1 (732 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1909.9
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 619.0 mg
- Sodium 5083.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 316.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 61.4 g