1/4 Photos of Challah
2 hrs 25 mins
Traditional and sweet bread used to welcome the Jewish sabbath and other festivals. This recipe uses the bread machine to make the dough and then the bread is braided and cooked in your oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1put the 1st 5 ingredients in the bread machine.
- 2layer on 4 cups of the flour.
- 3add the yeast on top.
- 4start the bread machine on the dough only setting.
- 5after the machine starts to mix the dough, check the dough to see if it is sticky; if so sprinkle on additional flour (up to 1/2 cup).
- 6when the dough cycle is over, divide the dough into two equal parts; divide each 1/2 into three equal parts; roll the thirds out and then braid; repeat with the other 1/2.
- 7place your braided loaves on a greased backing sheet and allow to rise for 45 minutes in a warm, draft free place (your oven works well).
- 8remove the risen loaves from the oven.
- 9preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 10mix the egg yolk with a few drops of water and glaze the loaves; if you want you can add sesame or poppy seeds to the top of the bread.
- 11return the loaves to the oven and bake for 25 minutes; the loaves will be golden brown.
- 12remove the loaves from the oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.
- 13you may also divide the dough into halves and form into loaves to bake in a traditional loaf pan; you can also choose to glaze or not; same cooking time; remove from loaf pans before cooling.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.5
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 104.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g