Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
Wondeful bread. Really soft and a little sweet. My family loves it.
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees farinheit)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 beaten egg, for glaze
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- in large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir in the sugar, 3 eggs, 4 1/2 cups of flour, salt, and the butter until the dough comes together in a sticky mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, working in the remaining flour as necessary to keep the dough from being too sticky. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes.(Don't be attempted to add too much flour. The dough should stay soft. It will become less sticky with kneading.).
- Form the dough into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm draft free spot for 2 hours.
- Line a half sheet pan or rimless baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough. Using a plastic pastry scraper, scrape the dough out onto a clean work surface.
- Cut the dough into 3 equal pieces. Using your palms, starting in the center, roll each piece out. Form a rope as long as the prepared pan with each piece.
- Braid the 3 pieces together.
- Pinch the ends together and tuck strands under at each end.
- Place the braided loaf on the prepared pan, cover with a dry towel and let rise again,45-60 minutes.
- Position a rack in the lower third of over, preheat to 350 degrees.
- Brush the braid gently with the eaten egg. Bake until nicely browned, about 30-35 minutes.