Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
From the Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook, by Mollie Katzen.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 -8 cups unbleached white flour
- sesame seeds or poppy seed
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While yeast dissolves, set aside 3 tablespoons of the beaten egg to use for the crust for later.
- Grease a cookie sheet with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Into the yeast/water bowl, beat in with a wire whisk the honey, butter, remaining eggs, salt and 2 cups of flour, gradually removing whisk and using hands to mix.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for 15-20 minutes until smooth, uniform and unsticky. Place kneaded dough into a buttered bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down risen dough and return it to floured surface. Knead 5 minutes and then divide into thirds.
- Knead each third 5-10 minutes, gradually transforming it into a 1 1/2 inch diameter snake. Line the three snakes up and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Braid all three snakes, pressing in the ends and sealing them with water. Place braided dough onto prepared cookie sheet and let it rise again until doubled.
- Brush top of dough braid with the reserved beaten egg and then sprinkle top with more sesame seeds or mixture of sesame, poppy and salt, if desired. Bake at 375°F for about 30-40 minutes.
Yum! I used 6 cups of flour and divided the dough in half and then divided each half into thirds. Then I braided them to make 2 loaves! Made for TOTM tag.