Recipe by UT Theta Chef
I owned a bakery for 9 years and this was a favorite. I had a Rabbi that came every Friday for his challah. He liked it so much that it was the only non kosher food allowed in his house!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs bread flour
- 3 1⁄2 ounces Crisco
- 2 ounces powdered milk
- 2 ounces brown sugar
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1 ounce salt
- 4 ounces honey
- 1 quart water, tepid
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds (optional)
- poppy seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- weigh ingredients and add water.
- I mix it on a 20qt mixer for 15 minutes.
- flip the dough and mix for another 5 minutes.
- let rest covered until double (optional).
- mix the egg and 2 tablespoons of water well to make egg wash.
- pre heat oven to 325.
- divide dough into 6(16oz) portions
- form in traditional braid or loaves.
- use egg wash to coat loaves.
- proof until touched lightly leaves indent but do not let it double in size it will rise in oven.
- recoat with egg wash right before placing in oven (top with seeds at this time).
- bake approximately 20 minutes turning 180 degrees after 13 minutes.
- It will be a nice golden brown on top and a lighter brown on the bottom.
- This bread freezes well and is great to have on hand for company or gifts. Also makes the best french toast!
- times do not include proofing times.