1/1 Photo of Challah
1 hr 5 mins
UT Theta Chef's Note:
I owned a bakery for 9 years and this was a favorite. I had a Rabbi that came every Friday for his challah. He liked it so much that it was the only non kosher food allowed in his house!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1weigh ingredients and add water.
- 2I mix it on a 20qt mixer for 15 minutes.
- 3flip the dough and mix for another 5 minutes.
- 4let rest covered until double (optional).
- 5mix the egg and 2 tablespoons of water well to make egg wash.
- 6pre heat oven to 325.
- 7divide dough into 6(16oz) portions
- 8form in traditional braid or loaves.
- 9use egg wash to coat loaves.
- 10proof until touched lightly leaves indent but do not let it double in size it will rise in oven.
- 11recoat with egg wash right before placing in oven (top with seeds at this time).
- 12bake approximately 20 minutes turning 180 degrees after 13 minutes.
- 13It will be a nice golden brown on top and a lighter brown on the bottom.
- 14This bread freezes well and is great to have on hand for company or gifts. Also makes the best french toast!
- 15times do not include proofing times.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Challah
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1289.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 79.7 mg
- Sodium 1919.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 232.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 29.1 g
- Protein 33.8 g