Georgian Chicken with Herbs, an Azerbaijan recipe. Recipe from The Georgian Feast by Darra Goldstein
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, tarragon, basil, dill)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Stir in the chopped onions and cook for 10 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally.
- Add the prepared tomatoes and cook, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is done.
- Stir in the garlic, herbs, hot pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, covered, 5 minutes longer.
- Let stand 5 minutes, covered, before serving.
I felt this was a really fantastic meal. I have cooked it to taste however, and only used two onions rather than all four (was two large onionjs though!). I alss used vittoria tomatoes (all i had left in the fridge), but this meal was absolutely brilliant and tasted very close to how it is in the restaurant<br/><br/>Thank you very much for this recipe!!! would definitely recommend
I used to live in san diego CA where there was an amazing georgian restaurant. I tried this recipe because I really miss that place. I was very pleased with the result. I love the herbs. It's like a herb parade in my mouth :) Thank you for sharing.