Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe from "Vegetarian Dinner in Minutes" by Linda Gassenheimer.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- olive oil flavored cooking spray, as needed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 pita breads
- Preheat broiler.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place red bell peppers on tray.
- Spray peppers with olive oil spray.
- Broil 5 minutes per side.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers from broiler, and core, seed, and slice them.
- Add peppers and tomatoes to frying pan.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- If mixture is watery, cook a few minutes more.
- Sprinkle with sugar and toss well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pita in broiler, which should still be warm from cooking peppers, for 2 minutes before serving.
- Spoon warm salad into a serving bowl or on individual plates with couscous salad and serve with warm pita bread.