Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a staple food in South Africa as well as other parts. My amaXhosa friend, Ntombizanele Sokupa, gave this recipe to me. She eats this with Pap -Pap (Potatoes and Cornmeal), but says it can also be enjoyed as a side dish with meat or vegemeat or with bread. Thanks Zanele!
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- curry powder, to your taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- green chili (optional)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Fry the onion and pepper together with oil in a large skillet until the onion is clear.
- Add the grated carrots, tomatoes, water, and all the seasonings to your liking and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
This is a great stir fry - loved the combination of the curry and chili powder. Made as posted, served over rice for a perfect evening meal! Used the green chilies for the extra wow.
Excellent and healthful! I served this with the pap, which was starchy and exactly what this dish needed. A perfect pair! I also left out the green chilies, but added a heaping teaspoon chili powder and curry powder (even though I halved the overall recipe). Thanks! Reviewed for ZWT:D
I thought this was pretty good, especially with the pap. The husband and children didn't seem to agree with me though. I thought that the veggies were a little bland, even though I used quite a bit of curry, salt, and pepper, so I added some berbere seasoning to spice it up. I love that it was fast and easy.