Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A fragrant twist on a classic butter cake. Perfect to serve with a pot of tea.
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 125 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon clove, ground
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well until a smooth consistency.
- Sift together flour and spices. Add one third of dry mixture to eggs and butter.
- Add vanilla essence to milk, and add half to cake batter.
- Alternate dry and liquid ingredients, beating well between each addition.
- Place batter in a greased log pan.
- Bake 40 - 50 minutes, until a knife or skewer can be inserted and removed clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool before glazing.
- For Glaze: SIft icing sugar and cinnamon. Add milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make a runny paste. Spread icing mixture over cake. Allow to set and serve.