Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 10 mins
A crispy and pretty chai cookie. Note: Do not pre-heat the oven as you mix your ingredients; chilling the dough is recommended!!! Also: You can sprinkle the cookies after baking with sugar, or you can sprinkle or roll them in sugar prior to baking.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- granulated sugar
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add cardamom, ginger, and cloves.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat for 30 seconds.
- Beat in milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Stir in the flour mixture to the large bowl mixture.
- When mixed, dough will be slightly soft.
- Put dough on waxed paper and shape it into a log, roughly 12 x 2 inches.
- Chill dough 1 to 6 hours.
- After chilling, preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the log into 1/4-inch slices.
- Note: If you cannot chill the dough long enough, it might be too soft to slice neatly. In this case, cut the log into 1/4-inch slices, roll them into balls, and press into neat circles.
- Arrange on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with reserved sugar and bake for 10-13 minutes.