Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
The spices in Indian chai tea flavor this creamy cheesecake. The topping can be made 2 days ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Courtesy Bon Appetit... and their photo looks SINFUL!
Top Review by sabretoothsam
I love chai so I tried this recipe. It was delicious. Not to ruin it for you, but I discovered the first time that I tried cardamom that it tastes like fruit loops--this recipe is no exception. This is a fruit loop cheesecake.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CRUST: Spray 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 3” high sides with nonstick spray.
- Sift flour, ginger, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Beat in egg yolk, then flour mixture.
- Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Roll out on floured surface to 9-inch round. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan; pierce all over with fork. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and beans.
- Bake crust until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Cool crust completely on rack.
- FOR FILLING: Preheat oven to 350°F Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add mascarpone; beat until smooth.
- Beat in whole eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in yolks.
- Add next 6 ingredients; beat until blended. Transfer filling to cooled crust in pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°F Continue baking until cake is set around edges, but center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken (top of cake may crack, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove cake from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350°F
- FOR TOPPING: Whisk all ingredients in small bowl; spread evenly over top of cake.
- Bake until set, about 10 minutes.
- Run small knife around cake sides. Chill uncovered overnight.
- Remove pan sides. Transfer cake to platter. Cut into wedges and serve.