Chai-Spiced Butternut Squash Soup With Apple Cream
- First, make the apple cream: combine the crème fraiche, apple cider and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow the flavors to combine.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cardamom.
- Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in butternut squash, fennel, chicken stock and apple cider.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Take from heat and let cool.
- Blend the soup in small batches until a smooth puree is obtained. Return to pot and stir in milk and salt.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more spice if desired. Serve soup with a generous drizzle of apple cream.